Friday, December 12, 2008

It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas

We decorated our tree last week and I finally got some pictures of it. I love my tree. My parents bought it for us last year since it was our first real Christmas on our own with all of the kids. It's not very big but it fits our ornaments just right. And oh how I love my ornaments. I don't have very many but several of them hold great meaning for me. It's basically Disney and family types, which are my favorite things. I have a fun set of Mickey Mouse shaped silver Christmas balls and Princess Aurora with Prince Phillip. There's a Mickey and Minnie driving a car and my precious glass slipper. My other favorites are the yearly family ones. Each year since we've been married we get an ornament with our names and year on it. All but one are handmade and we are only missing one year (the one spent in Salt Lake). Each kid has an ornament that we bought for them the year they were born and they get to put that one on the tree all by themselves. We don't have a ton of other decorations except for what we still have from our wedding decorations which are the silver bows on the garland. We have lots and lots of bows still. The white poinsettia flower is from that too and holds a special place in my heart as a reminder of our wedding day.

I love this time of year. I love how it makes me feel like a little girl again full of the anticipation of presents Christmas morning. I don't even really get presents anymore, all my joy comes from seeing what Santa has left my kids and seeing the excitement on their faces (I am a firm believer of Santa and the giving he symbolizes). This year I do want to teach and encourage the true meaning of Christmas and hope that spirit can fill my home too.

Tonight was our ward Christmas party and Old St. Nick made a special appearance. I hated Santa when I was little and my kids have been a little nervous around dressed up characters in the past. This was the first time we got up close and personal and took pictures with Santa. I was shocked with how my kids responded. Stryder went first and seemed the most nervous. Soren soon hopped over and wanted "up". Shelby got her turn and I got a little choked up when all she wanted to do was hug him. She is my sweet little hugger and it was so cute to see her hug Santa Claus. I am so grateful for our amazing ward putting on this dinner for us and for the jolly visitor that made my kids night. Thank You!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I had a fun time tonight too. It is a little harder to convinde myself to go when Alan is working, but I am glad we did. I couldn't believe all the people there. It was a full house. Oh ya, happy anniversary!

BreAna said...

oh i love you little snowmen on the tree that is so cute. Your kids are getting so big I can't believe it.

Jaden and Stacy said...

That is a very cute tree, it looks like our little tree. Just small but perfect for us. It's good that the kids liked santa so much, I've seen so many kids that freak out when they see him. Thanks for the comments on my blog. You're so sweet! Merry Christmas!