Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stryder's Baptism

I finally feel recovered enough to sit down and share Stryder's baptism.  I have been worrying on this event for months now, wanting everything to be perfect.  Luckily and gratefully, my parents took on a huge chunk of the responsibility and I was able to relax and enjoy the moments with my boy.  

The day before, we hosted a big pool party with everyone over at the Robbins with dinner at our house later.  This was such a fun night and I really think everyone had a good time.  I made 5 pans of my mom's enchiladas and felt such relief when everything went smoothly feeding that many adults and kids in my little house.

The morning of the baptism was spent quietly at home.  Stryder woke up super excited for the day and the "baptism boy" was eagerly counting down the hours.  We got everyone ready and Ben went over a few things with Stryder.  He seemed well prepared and understood the importance of what he was going to do.  The stake baptism program went well and it was fun to see the other kids all dressed in white.  As our ward was excused to the font, I stood up and half the chapel stood up with me.  There were so many people there to support us and Stryder's decision that I was so overwhelmed.  The actual baptizing went great and then we were moving again into the Relief Society room.  I'm so grateful Brother Ream was conducting.  He has been around our families since Ben was in young men's and it felt so comfortable having him conduct.  While everyone waited for the boys to change, Bro. Ream brought the tradition from the River Mountain Ward of doing a mini testimony meeting.  I had brought cards for people to write messages and testimonies down for Stryder and it went along perfectly with what Bro. Ream had planned.  I loved how reverent everyone was, including the little kids, and the Spirit was so strong.  My dad, myself, Lauren and Justin all bore testimony of what an awesome step Stryder was taking that day.  I'm so grateful for those who stood up and shared with us.  Once the boys were back the confirmation took place and Ben did an amazing job.  I'm so grateful for the priesthood which he holds and for his ability to bless our boy.  It was such a wonderful day and I think Stryder will always remember it.

After the baptism, we had a luncheon at the Burkholder Chapel.  This is where my parents did so much to help and I will always be indebted to them for it.  The decorations were cute, the food was yummy, and the company was awesome.  (I'll add pictures when I get them)

Overall, it was a very special weekend for our family and I'm so proud of Stryder and the important steps he is taking to be a part of our eternal family.  I know God's hand was in it that day and I'm so grateful for the spirit that was felt.  I'm so grateful for our amazing family and all of those that traveled near and far to celebrate with us.  I know my Savior lives and what Stryder did will only bring him closer to living with our Savior again.  Definitely worth getting dunked for.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Awesome! So glad things went smooth. So neat to see your baby get baptized.