Friday, August 28, 2009

End of Summer and Start of School

The last week of summer was spent up in the Utah mountains at the Jensen family cabin. Ben's family has been going to this cabin for years and years. My family hasn't been since 2004, when an unfortunate flu hit almost everyone. This cabin has no electricity, with only a generator for nights. One bathroom, with no shower, just a tub. The epitome of "roughing it"! My mother-in-law and I, with my kids, left early Monday morning and headed north. Lots of games were played along with alot of late night talks. I really enjoyed the time I spent getting to know Ben's sisters that week. After a long week, the longest time I've ever spent away from my hubby, Ben joined us Friday late morning. It was so good to have him with us. Ben took us fishing that evening and the kids totally loved it. Thanks to Uncle Randall's hardcore fishing expertise, he helped Shelby and Soren reel in fish. Stryder finally got to reel in one that Ben caught. I think fishing may become something my boys do more often. More family showed up for the weekend, and lots of fun was had by all. By Sunday, I was tired and dirty and ready to go home. I really appreciate all the help I had during the week and I'm so glad I was able to spend all that time with Ben's family. We love you guys!

As soon as we got home we had to get Stryder ready for his first day of school. He was so excited all week to start first grade. We successfully made it through the first week of first grade. Stryder's teacher has been at Dooley since it opened and both of us love her already. He aced his first spelling test and his Ms Holman thinks he is the sweetest boy around (I wonder if she's talking about the same kid). It has been a bit of an adjustment getting up so early for him to get to school on time, Dooley starts at 8, but we have been on time every day. I am still having a hard time believing that I have a first grader. I admit I got a little choked up as he followed the other kids in and as I watched my baby grow even more that first day. As my life starts a new phase, I have much to look forward to.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

That new family picture is way cute. I am glad Stryder is liking school. Grace is LoVinG it. She gives me every detail of every day.

Russell Family said...

Taryn, your kids are SO cute, I can't even stand it! I'm glad you had so much fun at the cabin, and know that Jesse kept Ben company while you guys were gone. Shocking huh? I hope you have that aced spelling test on the fridge! I remember getting a B on a test in science while I was in college and being so excited and putting it on the fridge. It was a big deal! Well give the kids hugs and kisses! Love ya, and see you Tuesday for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow - my Shelby had Ms. Holman and now she is starting college in September! She's a great teacher!

Cindy said...

I love your picture at the top, that is so precious. I don't think I could live without running toilets, and electricity. haha. I'm too much of a city girl, but I love to be in nature during the day, just not at night.