Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Memories of Grandma Waters

I don't even know where to start. I have so much running through my head that I want to make sure I get written down to remember always.

This summer has been a hard one. Around the end of May, my grandma started showing signs of something being seriously wrong with her. In June she was hospitalized several times and diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She had surgery and spent all of July in the hospital having good days and bad days. I saw her a few times but she was never herself, the talkative Grandma I'd grown up with. On July 17th, she was the most herself she had been in a very long time. It was my Grandpa's birthday present. She tried to talk to me that day and would laugh and raise her ever expressive eyebrows at us. The cancer, however, was more than her body could handle, and the very aggressive type she had was spreading. On July 26th, her 73rd birthday, my Grandma was called home to a large welcoming party. She was surrounded by her husband of 54 years and her children and grandchildren when she left. Ben and I had made the decision to go ahead and go up to Gunnison, Utah for his Jensen family reunion that weekend. I was wanting a distraction but still kept my phone close waiting for the call to say she was gone. That Sunday morning, I had a strong urge to pack up and leave alot earlier than everyone else. I just needed to get home. About a half hour away from our home, I got the call from my mom. We were able to hurry home and be with my family while we all mourned the loss. The next week was spent with family close by and tears ever present. My Aunt Tonya opened her home to us for swimming and a barbecue and it was nice to all be there together. It was that night that I over heard something I want to remember forever. My Grandpa was, I think, talking to my Grandma's sister Kathy, when I heard him tell her in a tear-filled voice, that he knew my grandma was his soul mate from the first moment he met her.

The funeral was Thursday the 30th of July. At the viewing my kids came over to see Grandma and Soren kept saying, "Grandma sick" to which I loving reassured him that she wasn't anymore. Stryder was pretty emotional and Shelby said her hair looked different. Grandma probably laughed at that and I know will be there laughing at all the other funny things "her kids" will do. The service was beautiful and well attended.















The flowers on her casket held special meaning to us. One red for Grandpa, two yellow for her sons Jeff and Jerry, three purple for her daughters Tami, Tonya, and Tedene, 6 blue for her grandsons Brandon, Brad, Zack, Trevor, Stryder, and Soren, 12 pink for her granddaughters Taryn, Lacey, Katie, Lauren, Jordan, Hannah, Whitney, Amanda, Mackenzie, Sarah, Emma, and Shelby, and one white for the great grandbaby on the way.

Friday morning we left early for Idaho, to bury Grandma near her family. The trip up was long, filled with adventure and car batteries. That night we finally made it to my great Uncle Dan's house, where all the family was gathering that night. That night I was able to overhear another touching conversation between my uncles as they shared memories of their Mom and talked about the last time they were with her. Thanks Jeff and Jerry for letting me listen in and for singing me a song about a dog and a lawn mower. Saturday morning was another small service. My grandpa bore his testimony and shared some thoughts with us. It was so emotional for me and maybe the hardest moment. My Grandpa loved my Grandma so much and it was obvious in his words and emotion. One thing he said that I wanted to write down, was that 54 years ago after they were newly married, my Grandpa was called on a mission. My Grandma faithfully waited for him to come home. Now my Grandma has been called on a mission, and she's still waiting for him. I was so touched by this analogy and will hold it close to my heart along with so many other things. After the service, we headed to the cemetery where my Grandpa dedicated the burial site. Following that, we headed back to the church for a lunch put on by Candy, my Grandma's sister-in-law and several other family members. As centerpieces on the table was a scattering of my Grandma's favorite candies, M&M's and orange slices and chocolate covered orange chewys. Just more tears and thoughts for Grandma. I am so grateful I was there and able to be a part of it all. It was a tiring trip but Saturday night we stayed with my Mom's college roommate Holly and had some great food and great conversation with her. Overall the trip was long but full of memories I will treasure forever.

I wanted to write down a few things about my Grandma to remember. She potty-trained me and I lost my first tooth at her house with her help. She loved to play the piano and played alot in primary. She called every bad driver a "Dingbat". She came to every ball game she could and sewed both my Homecoming dress and my Prom dress for me my Senior year. She sewed the skirts my bridesmaids wore too. Grandma was tucked back in a corner of the room to see both Stryder and Soren delivered into this world. Her grandkids were her greatest joy and I used to feel bad when we didn't make it for Sunday dinners. She told me she just loved having the great grandkids come over and looked forward to it all week. Every time we walked in the door she'd call out "There's my kids!" I can still hear it in my head and hope to always. She loved to talk and tell stories and her and Grandpa were always willing to help any way possible. They babysat for me and took me to doctor's appointments.


There is a great hole left in our family but we will continue on in hopes of bettering ourselves so we can one day be reunited with her again. I want to live my life so that it can be possible. I love my Grandma so much and promise her that I will keep bringing "those kids" around to Grandpa and will work so hard to be half the person she was. "Remember we love you the most"

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Taryn, I'm SO sorry for your loss! Thanks for sharing about her and making me cry, laugh (dingbat! lol. So cute), cry, smile, and cry again throughout your post! Your grandma was such a sweet lady and everyone who was lucky enough to interact with her felt her strong spirit. My regards to you and your family. :)

Holly said...

So sweet Taryn. We love you.

Connie and Rob said...

I have to thank Rachel for expressing my feelings perfectly. I would like to have had just one more conversation with her. Those of us who were lucky enough to get to know her a little will not forget her - because she is unique. Her ability to make everyone feel comfortable and accepted, and her obvious love for all her little ones, show what a grand lady she is. I'm sad for the lonliness all of you will feel when you think of her. But, I'm happy for the life she chose and the example she set for all of us.