Sunday, September 28, 2008

Create

Last night was the General Relief Society Meeting and I am so glad and grateful that I was able to attend. I left feeling inspired and felt like I gained some insight into things that have been going on in my life these days. Each member of the Relief Society presidency spoke and shared wonderful messages of service and support. My favorite talk and the one that spoke to my soul the most was given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, the second councelor in the First Presidency. He was so funny yet so righteous in the way he shared his talk. His major focus was on the two things that can lead and help us gain eternal happiness.

The first was "Create". This is the part that spoke so strongly to me. He said that as women we have the divine role of being the creators of another human body, yet for those of us who are either not doing that anymore or never have had the opportunity, we can still create something. He said that to create is to make something that wasn't there before, anything from a fancy dinner to a craft project to a simple smile on a child's face. Since the circumstances surrounding the birth of my last baby I have had so many emotions flooding my senses. Around the time that he turned two, life seemed a little empty for me. It was around this time that I started falling in love with blogging and found so many amazing and inspiring women who were creating some awesome things. I wanted to become a part of that. Over the last month or so I have had such a strong desire to create. I recently made some really cute burp rags and a framed scrapbook page for a friend's baby shower. I have so many more creations lined up for the holidays and I am finally starting to feel like I'm doing something. I have a purpose again.

The second was "Compassion". This is an area that I find I need to work on more. Compassion encompasses all manner of service and love for one another. I need to remember to be mindful of other people and always try to serve. I do feel that the two go hand in hand and that some of the things I create can be for the service of others. These two principles can help women of all ages to feel closer to our Father in Heaven and gain happiness in our lives, now and into the eternities.

I am so grateful for my husband who stayed home with the kids so I was able to have my testimony grow. I feel like I understand now why I have had such a strong desire to create, it was the Lord helping me to gain the peace and happiness I need to be a better mother and wife. I'm looking forward to General Conference next weekend so I can glean more words of wisdom from the leaders of our church. I'm also looking forward to the holidays so I can share the things that I created with others.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I have been relief society age for 11 years now. You would think that I had it down when there was going to be a broadcast. Nope! Too bad I missed it. I totally could have gone to. Maybe they will replay it on BYU channel. It sounds like it was great. See you at "the drop off."

Laur-annie said...

Taryn, I am so glad that you have a purpose again! I know how it is not to have anyone in the baby stage and I have felt that empty feeling. You are so talented and you have such a beautiful family! I know life isn't perfect but you and Ben are on such a good road!! Sure love you guys and miss you!
Laura

Connie and Rob said...

It was really a wonderful meeting. I think our creative energies are used for so many things. Even "creating" sentences as we speak to others uses our creative energy. Maybe the compassion part of it makes us want to "create" nice moments for others with our words and our actions as well as our artistic creations. It's kind of amazing how much creation has to do with our lives. I love the way it reminds me of the Savior. He never stops creating and all of it is to benefit others. Taryn, watching you with your fun little creative ideas - I think it's the fact that you are creating for others that is giving you so much joy. I'm having fun just watching!!