Monday, August 25, 2008

Our First First Day of School

I have a kindergartener! Where did the time go? My baby is not old enough for school and heck, I'm not old enough to have a kindergartener. I was quite the basket case the night before and very emotional. Aunt Cari read this great story to the kids and then later Ben gave Stryder a blessing. I was feeling a little better by the time I went to bed and was actually excited for the big day. Stryder was up before me and had totally forgot that he was going to school. The morning went by pretty slowly as we got everyone ready. Ben was able to work out his lunch break so that he could come with me to take Stryder. Stryder was really excited and totally cool with the whole situation. He had his backpack on and got in line and walked in, no problem. Once he was through the door, is when my tears fell. This is such a huge milestone in our family and life as we know it will never be the same again. We will have a schedule to maintain and school will now always play a role in our planning. I'm actually looking forward to some of the structure and discipline that it will force us to work on. After his first day was all said and done he was just so excited about school and said he had a great day. What a relief for me to hear that he liked it and since the teacher didn't say anything to me, I'll hope that meant he was well behaved. Now looking back at it, my emotions are still very tender and I can't even begin to describe the relief, joy, frustration, excitedness, and love I felt that day.

2 comments:

The Brownlemmons said...

If it makes you feel better, I can't believe all the little boys I really rough housed with are now in school. Stryder was the last hold out. For some reason the next group of kiddies were just different. There wasn't the wild crazy fun the I could do. I still remember Ben and I throwing Styder like a rag doll across the room to each other. Yet another awesome memory from the time we shared Cari's house. I know I couldn't do that so easily now. Tell em all I said "Hi"!! I'm looking forward to the 20th. I wish it were already here. Love ya!!!

Connie and Rob said...

It's so cute to come home from work and see You and Stryder doing homework together. He's so willing to sit and do it. I hope that pattern holds forever. That's such a cute picture of Stryder in front of Dooley.
Life is made up of a series of changes. This is one of the big ones for a Mom. Boy I have a lot of memories. So many changes.
But watching my children grow and change still gives me joy. It'll be like that for you, too - after you get past the emotional separation (which, by the way, happens over and over when they are adults as well! How many tears have we shed when the family leaves?)