My first date with Ben was 8 years ago today. We have been dating and in love for 8 years. Time has just flown by and both of us can't believe it has been that long. I thought with this post I would reminisce about those early years, before marriage, responsibility, kids and life.Our first date was made possible by Jana. A week or two before, I was at a stake dance. Don't think I'm weird or anything, they were so cool back then and I thought I was pretty cool too (ok not really, I was very insecure but anyways). I had known Jana for years through Young Womens and school and the fact that she was my sister's good friend too. Her brother had come to the dance but only
because another sister Candice, had payed him to dance with as many girls as he could. I happened to be one of those girls. In fact, I think I snuck two dances in that night. I honestly don't know what it was about him but I remember his smile and felt like I had to get to know him better. I talked with Jana who then would go talk to Ben and then come back and talk to me. Eventually we had a date planned and a potential Homecoming date too. I know, a little straightforward but I was going to be a senior and really wanted to go, so I was planning ahead. The night of our first date I picked Ben up in my mother's Aerostar van (he didn't have his licence at this point and wouldn't get it for a whole other year) and we went bowling. I'm pretty sure I beat him at the first game but he won the second. After that we went to Mission Hills park and just walked around and talked. Talked and talked for
hours. We just clicked and had so much in common and having known each other's families made a big difference too. We were in the same ward and I remember thinking that Ben was just one of those annoying Deacon's that bugged me. But then I remember before school got out that year, passing Ben in the cafeteria and he smiled and said hi to me. I look back now and know that it was small things like this that prepared us to be together.
because another sister Candice, had payed him to dance with as many girls as he could. I happened to be one of those girls. In fact, I think I snuck two dances in that night. I honestly don't know what it was about him but I remember his smile and felt like I had to get to know him better. I talked with Jana who then would go talk to Ben and then come back and talk to me. Eventually we had a date planned and a potential Homecoming date too. I know, a little straightforward but I was going to be a senior and really wanted to go, so I was planning ahead. The night of our first date I picked Ben up in my mother's Aerostar van (he didn't have his licence at this point and wouldn't get it for a whole other year) and we went bowling. I'm pretty sure I beat him at the first game but he won the second. After that we went to Mission Hills park and just walked around and talked. Talked and talked for
hours. We just clicked and had so much in common and having known each other's families made a big difference too. We were in the same ward and I remember thinking that Ben was just one of those annoying Deacon's that bugged me. But then I remember before school got out that year, passing Ben in the cafeteria and he smiled and said hi to me. I look back now and know that it was small things like this that prepared us to be together. Ben and I then started going out on a date every weekend. The second date was ice blocking and dinner at Roadhouse and I'll admit it, our first kiss. At this point I was pretty smitten but was unsure of Ben's feeling for me. He had made a trip to Utah for a while and I was anxious for him to get home. It was on our third date that he declared me his girlfriend and I
guess the rest is history. We were inseparable by now and hung out as much as we could. Often little sisters were around since my two sisters were really good friends with his two younger sisters. Once school started we could often be found all piled in the van heading to a football game or out to bowling before another stake dance. And like I planned, Ben was my date to Homecoming, and he sure made it awesome (once again with the monetary support of his sister Candice). That year I got Ben involved in the high school choir and he became a fan and supporter of girls basketball. I could always count on him to be there for me when I had had a good or bad game. We went to both backwards dances and made some great memories then too. That year also had brought some sadness to Ben with the passing of his Grandma Jensen. I can still hear the sorrow in his voice when he called to tell me why he hadn't been at school. I remember just hugging him tight and letting him cry on my shoulder. But it was moments like those that brought us closer together.
guess the rest is history. We were inseparable by now and hung out as much as we could. Often little sisters were around since my two sisters were really good friends with his two younger sisters. Once school started we could often be found all piled in the van heading to a football game or out to bowling before another stake dance. And like I planned, Ben was my date to Homecoming, and he sure made it awesome (once again with the monetary support of his sister Candice). That year I got Ben involved in the high school choir and he became a fan and supporter of girls basketball. I could always count on him to be there for me when I had had a good or bad game. We went to both backwards dances and made some great memories then too. That year also had brought some sadness to Ben with the passing of his Grandma Jensen. I can still hear the sorrow in his voice when he called to tell me why he hadn't been at school. I remember just hugging him tight and letting him cry on my shoulder. But it was moments like those that brought us closer together. By the end of that school year I was head over heels in love with Ben. We went to Prom, where Ben was Junior Prince, and had a blast. We did make some stupid mistakes but have put all of those behind us. We were in love and both of us knew that what we shared was something we didn't create on our own. Eventually we were married and then sealed to each other for time and all eternity. My best friend for 3 and a half years became my eternal companion and we could be together forever.
I love Ben so much and it is hard to describe how great he is or how great being together has been. I can count on Ben to always make me laugh and s
mile on good or bad days. I knew back then that he would be a good dad due to the fact that he used to rock and sing my brother Trevor to sleep a few times a week. He hasn't let me down in that area. Ben is an amazing dad and has such fun with our kids. Dates now don't happen as often as they used to back then but I still love going out with my man. We still eat at the same places, but have added a few new ones too. We can still sit and talk about anything and everything and laugh together just like we could 8 years ago. I hope that the dates continue and that we will never get to the point where we have nothing to talk about. I want to just say thanks to those who helped bring Ben and I together so many years ago. And Ben, I love you!
mile on good or bad days. I knew back then that he would be a good dad due to the fact that he used to rock and sing my brother Trevor to sleep a few times a week. He hasn't let me down in that area. Ben is an amazing dad and has such fun with our kids. Dates now don't happen as often as they used to back then but I still love going out with my man. We still eat at the same places, but have added a few new ones too. We can still sit and talk about anything and everything and laugh together just like we could 8 years ago. I hope that the dates continue and that we will never get to the point where we have nothing to talk about. I want to just say thanks to those who helped bring Ben and I together so many years ago. And Ben, I love you! 
6 comments:
I can't believe you two have been together for 8 years that is amazing. I love thinking of the days of dating my hubby even though it was only for 4 months. I love the pic of you guys at prom that is awesome.
Eight years? Wow! Randy and I grew up in the same ward, but it took us a long time to notice each other too!
Boy that time has gone by fast!! I really love seeing you two together - mainly because you are such good friends. Besides - that friendship developed into a family and I get the rewards!! (Three of the cutest and sweetest grandchildren anybody could imagine!)I love you guys and hope you have lots of happy years still ahead!
Awesome post Taryn!!! I sometimes wish I could have been there during your first couple years of dating, but unfortunately, Ben didn't notice you until after I had left on my mission, and you were just one of those Beehives to me. :) I love & miss your family so much. You both are such good & loving parents, and I can see that in your kids. They are secure and confident in that love and support that you give them.I can't wait for the next visit!!!
I TOTALLY second Moms comment about the kids! I miss those kids like you wouldn't BELIEVE!!! And if there is one good that came from all of those freaking stake dances I went to it was definitely that!! :) I'm so glad that I was able to be part of it! I remember how giddy all of us were that night, and how EXCITED we all were to hear how your 1st date went! I remember sitting in your room with you reading every detail of your date out of your journal to me... Irreplaceable memories! Little did we know then that we would be here now, and I am SO happy that it's gone the way it has because you are the perfect woman for Ben, and have become an asset for our family!
I just love these! It tells so much about you guys and your "story". I can't believe you have been together that long. CRAZY!
Post a Comment