Sunday, August 8, 2010
I'm just doing the best I can
Today has been one of those days. I woke up in a bad mood and the events of the day only compounded it. I think my only moments of peace where during sacrament meeting, which is odd since I am usually fighting kids during that time, and Relief Society. But as soon as it was over it was like the little tender bubble I was in popped and I was right back to where I had been before. My sister had given me a little note that said something about me being a great mom and I instantly felt guilty and unworthy of such praise due to the kind of day I was having. It was still greatly appreciated and was really something I needed to hear. After a few more tortuous hours I was at my wits end and complained to Ben about how awful I felt that day had been and how undeserving I felt of my sisters' note. But my husband reassured me that he thought I was a great mom as well. He gave me some Michael Jordan analogy that oddly enough totally made sense. Michael Jordan was an amazing basketball player. Some days, however, he may not have had a great amazing game (very rarely I think) but that didn't mean he wasn't still an amazing basketball player. Just because I may have had a bad day doesn't mean I'm a bad mom. Then my husband gleaned more wisdom from his sister that helped even more. She reminded us that our Heavenly Father is the father over all and when his kids are misbehaving it doesn't make him a bad Father. His kids have their free agency to make good or bad decisions but He loves them regardless and just tries to teach them how they should be. It may feel like I am doing a bad job but I have to remember that I can't control everything. What I can do is still love my kids and just try harder to be the best mom my Heavenly Father would have me be for them. After shedding a few tears and letting these thoughts sink in I was starting to "get it" and felt better. Being a mom has got to be the hardest job on the planet. We are not given any training classes or manuals. No time off or vacation pay. We face criticism from every direction. All I can do is my best. It's all any of us can do. I just need to keep reminding myself to just keep trying and one day they will remember to flush the toilet. One day they will be grateful for the food I make them. One day they will thank me for being the mom that I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have had way too many days just like this. Another thought that gets me through is seeing the point that my family (siblings and parents) is at now (yours too). Someday it will all be easier. This time right now is so short when you consider the big picture, we can make it and the rewards are eternal.
You dont know how much I needed to hear this today. I was very close to leaving my kids at Walmart today. Thanks for writing it.
I love you big sis! And I think you do a great job every day being a mom! I don't what that feels like yet but I know being a wife can be a challenge! And we just got to keep a positive attitude and try our best! Just keep moving forward!!
Post a Comment