The start of school brings joy and sadness
On the first day there is always such madness
From picking their clothes and combing their hair
And being so tired you start to stare.
I’ll speak on the excitement of this day
Though the kids who are returning might say
That today is the very worst day of the year
It’s the parents who wait for this day to appear
Finally they will get peace and quiet
Because the summer is much like a riot
With kids home all day you get nothing done
And they seem to argue with everyone
This is the day that you send them back
And hope their teacher's prepared for attack
Not all of it’s easy for mom and for dad
Because growing kids can really make you sad
That brings me to the hard part of this day
That’s watching your five year old walk away
They walk to the doors with one last look
And mothers hope that their teachings took
From outside moms blow kisses and smile
The tears have built up in their eyes for a while
But at this moment they start to roll
And the children into the classroom they stroll
The heartbroken parents outside lament
While the kids inside are filled with excitement
And through everything the good and the bad
It’s all to give them the same chance we had
To grow up and join our society
To make their mark and live happily
So push them through English and help them in math
Because Today’s just a stone on the path
And one day after all of your hard work is done
They’ll thank you and know that you were the one
Who pushed them and helped to make them see
The person that you knew they could be
My husband wrote me that amazing little poem especially for today and it pretty much sums up all I could ever say. This morning, Stryder was an old pro at the whole school thing and I really didn't even think twice about it. He ran off to get in line and find his friends. He has Mrs. Apel this year, who both Ben and I had for fifth grade, 17ish years ago. It's so crazy to think that my son is being taught by someone who taught me. He is very excited though and has lots of friends in his class. It was a lot harder for me, getting Shelby ready for school. I know she is going to love it and totally excel but she's my little girl and now she's a kindergartner. I'm pretty sure she's the tallest in her class. She was super excited to find her cousin Olivia and told me earlier that she couldn't be scared if Olivia was there. I'm still scared though. She's getting bigger and older and pulling away, no longer my little cuddle-bug. I have 2 kids in school now and time just keeps flying by. As Soren and I left the school, he reminded me that it's just "you and me". I sure am going to cherish these few hours everyday I get with just him. It'll only be this way, one more year.

2 comments:
Cool poem Benny Boo!! You will love the time with Soren, it's always fun to have some one-on-one. We had fun with that last year with Mal while Livvy was in school (before Indiana came along) :) It definitely helped my little ones today to see their cousins faces.
Seriously!? How cute is that!? Good job Ben! And your kids are adorable and I hope their first day was fun!! Love you!
Post a Comment