The kids have discovered "cuss words" and it has made Ben and I really aware of what we say and what they hear on movies, I say movies because the only tv we watch is Glee after the kids are in bed (Love Glee) or Lost on Netflix instant watch (Love Lost). Now don't get me wrong, we don't curse like sailors or anything, just the occasional word that slip out in times of frustration and unfortunately the kids cause most of that. So needless to say, we having been cleaning things up around here. The other discovery my kids have made is recognizing that mom and dad are "fat". This doesn't bother Ben but really really bothers me. Probably because I'm already keenly aware and self-conscious of my weight, I don't need my 5 year old pointing it out too. Plus, why should it matter to them? I'm Mom and should always be just that to them. Why do I have to be a skinny Mom? I want them to just see me as Mom, the one that loves them and cares for them, not the fat lady around the house. See, this has really bugged me. Anyways onto other things...
Stryder was ch
osen to be the Gemstone of the Month for May. We are beaming with pride over this. Stryder has struggled a little this year and his grades have been less than perfect and like any mother, I've stressed over it. With this award, I have some relief. He had his picture taken at school, and that gets to go up on the Wall of Fame and he gets to have lunch with the principal. He has been so excited about it and we couldn't be prouder.Shelby and Soren have almost finished preschool. It has been lots of fun this year teaching and watching my little ones learn so much. Shelby is beyond excited knowing that there are only 2 more letters and then she gets to start kindergarten. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize she has an entire summer break before she goes. Soren has picked up on stuff as well and is talking better and recognizing alot of the letters.
Lately my sewing machine has been going non-stop. I made some super cute flannel blankets for our newest nephew and some skirts for Shelby. I'm really into re-purposing old into new. Shelby doesn't have alot of summer clothes since she has grown so stinkin' fast and with money tight, this has been a great solution. The pink Hawaiian looking one was once a dress that had long sleeves and was too short (like all of her dresses these days). I cut off the top, made a casing for some elastic and that was it. The original hem from the dress is the hem for the skirt. So easy!! The purple and black ones were t-shirts. I did the same thing, cut them at the length I wanted, made a casing and a new skirt is born. The black one I added a ruffle to, since I'm obsessed with them these days. These were so easy and it makes me look at all of my old shirts in a new way. My next sewing attempt will be taking one of my Grandma's muu-muus and turning it into a skirt for myself. I've been holding onto it for several months now and just need to try it. I also have some purple sparkly fabric that I want to make a bubble skirt for Shelby out of, that I just haven't gotten around to doing too.
1 comment:
I hear you on the "fat mom" thing. Carter told me the other day that I needed to go on Biggest Loser to lose some weight. Nice.
Post a Comment