Monday, September 28, 2009

God Gave Us Families

On Sunday it was my favorite Sacrament meeting of the year, the Primary Program. I just absolutely love sitting there watching all of those sweet young faces sing and share such simple statements of faith. My kids especially are so fun to watch as they sing and fidget and smile and wave. I just love it! At the beginning of the year the Primary Presidency gave out a cd of all the music for the year and one song instantly struck a chord with me. It's not from the Primary Songbook but was published in The Friend. I was so excited to hear it sang by our Primary and they sure did not disappoint. I was brought to tears as their little voices got louder and louder throughout the song at the chorus. They all knew the part, "God gave us families to help us become what he wants us to be-- This is how He shares His love, for the family is of God" and sang with everything they had, testifying of that truth. I wanted to write down the lyrics for the whole song to have for myself. I know that families are of the utmost importance to my Heavenly Father and I am so grateful for the one I was raised in and for the one I'm raising. There can be challenges within families but in the end it only strengthens the bonds. The Lord gave us families to teach us patience and kindness too. I only hope I can raise these young spirits the way the Lord wants me to.
"The Family Is of God" by Matthew Neely

"Our Father has a family.
It's me!
It's you, all others too;
We are His children.
He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
To live and learn here in fam'lies.

God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be--
This is how He shares His love, for the fam'ly is of God.
A father's place is to preside, provide,
To love and teach the gospel to his children.
A father leads in fam'ly prayer to share
Their love for Father in Heaven.

God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be--
This is how He shares His love, for the fam'ly is of God.

A Mother's purpose is to care, prepare,
To nurture and to strengthen all her children.
She teaches children to obey, to pray,
To love and serve in the fam'ly.

God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be--
This is how He shares His love, for the fam'ly is of God.

I'll love and serve my family and be
A good example to each fam'ly member.
And when I am a mom or dad, so glad,
I'll help my fam'ly remember:

God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be--
This is how He shares His love, for the fam'ly is of God."

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I LOVED that song. Last night i told my kids I was going to get the words and teach it to the whole family at family night. Thanks for making my job easier!

Connie and Rob said...

I don't think I'll ever forget the performance of that song in this years primary program. It immediately brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful words, beautiful music, beautiful children. It couldn't have been more perfect!