
So in honor of my littlest sister's engagement and my middle sister's new baby, I decided to blog some thoughts about my sisters. Ben has six sisters and one married brother so I have seven sister-in-laws and therefore have been around sisters alot. But I only have two that I grew up with and we are close in age so our memories and experiences are much in the same. I don't have memories of being an only child, I was two and a half when Katie was born. All of my childhood memories include my sisters.
Katie and I shared a room and and then a bed most nights it seemed. I remember waking up to Katie's legs across my stomach and her sound asleep. Later on Lauren was the lucky one to share a room and bed with her. Katie and I never shared a room after I turned 8 or so, it was too dangerous for one or the other of us. All my memories of Katie had her wearing a tutu or swimsuit or this yellow skirt that my mom tried to hide from her in the bottom drawer of her dresser, alongside the movie Dirty Dancing she hid from us. We always managed to find it and loved the movie just for the music and dancing. I used to make Katie twirl around as I flipped her skirt. As we got older Katie and I just never seemed to get along. She even went so far as to cut my hair for me, leaving me with a cool calic. Maybe she was just getting back at me for the hose incident from years before. We were separated enough in school that when I was in 8th grade she was in 5th and I guess I like to believe that because I was the cooler older sister she would steal my clothes and just drive me crazy in general, but I don't know the real reason. Either way, all we did in those years was fight. Oh we had our moments of peace but for the most part I was always mad at her for taking my clothes or cds and getting them lost. By the time I was a senior in high school, Katie was a freshman and somehow even though I was older, I was still known as Katie Day's sister. I think back then it made me mad cause I was jealous of her and her popularity. She was always so social and knew everybody. Now I'm proud to be known as Katie Day's sister.

Katie was always the wild child but now she has a good husband, who somehow puts up with her, and a beautiful baby boy. She is so blessed. I am so blessed to have her as my sister. She was so understanding when Ben and I got married and put up with his whistling in the shower. She was always there to help when she could. She was even there when Soren was born and helped us through that whole ordeal. Katie has always bought my kids new clothes and given Ben and I gift cards at just the right times, like she knew we were in need somehow. She has been an incredible aunt to my kids too. She is stern yet loving and laughs at them with the rest of us. When we were at Disneyland, she made the trip far less stressful for me, by being watchful of my kids and taking them on rides so I could go on the adult rides. She even bought them presents for Christmas, knowing that we were really tight. She now has an adorable little boy, Mason Dale, who I can't wait to spoil. She is a good mother and a great sister. I would never trade her for the world. I am Katie Day's sister and I love her.

Lauren was and kind of still is, the baby. She used to make us so mad with all the things she got or got away with. She was the peacemaker and used to get in between fights me and Katie were having. I loved to braid her hair, even if she didn't want me to, and just always dress her up. Like the time Brandon and I thought it would be fun to spray an entire bottle of Sun-in on her hair. That was the blondest she has ever been! She was the little beauty and always skinnier than Katie and me. One day Laur, one day! Lauren and I did share a room for a little while and I loved it because she would always keep it clean. We always got along, I don't know what the difference was but she was just my little "Boo" most of the time. Lauren was also very social in high school, luckily I had graduated by this point. It was a very proud moment for me though, as the big sister, to watch Katie crown Lauren Homecoming Queen. Katie had been queen the year before and Lauren was her successor. I'll say that I was insanely jealous, and yes that is partly true, but mostly I am just proud of them. Lauren has grown into an amazing woman. She has and is a great help with my kids as well so long as none of them are throwing up. She even managed to be ok with Stryder stealing her birthday. I love seeing Lauren take Shelby to the bathroom and Shelby coming back out with her hair combed and done all cute. It reminds me of how I was with Lauren. Lauren also bought Shelby one of the cutest outfits ever and helped make my daughter trendy. She even found time to come help me when I was on bed rest too. She has always just seemed so willing to serve where ever she was needed.
She has found a great guy and I only wish her all the happiness in the world, she deserves it after what it took for her to get to this part. I can't wait to see what her kids will look like but I know it's going to be while, and that's ok. My little sister is growing up and I can't believe how fast time has flown by. I love you Laur Bor!
Whether it's a Hanson concert or just hanging out at home, we three manage to always have a good time. My sisters were my first best friends, and I hope we still think of each other that way. I know that I would not have become the woman I am today if not for the experiences I shared with my sisters. I am so grateful the Lord gave me two of the most amazing and, might I say hilarious, and beautiful sisters a girl could ask for. Thanks for the memories girls and remember "There were never such devoted sisters"
1 comment:
This is one of the sweetest and coolest posts I've read. It's so nice to see how much you appreciate your family especially once you grow up. I'm sure your sisters are just as proud of you as you are of them. :)
Post a Comment